This homemade food is healthier and also contains about 250 calories.
How To Make French Onion Soup Recipe
What you need:
1 tablespoon butter
5 medium onions (a mix of yellow and red is ideal), chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 bay leaves
6 cups low-sodium beef broth (Chicken and vegetable broths are fine, but beef broth is best for bringing out the rich meatiness of the onions.)
1/2 cup dry red wine
4 or 5 sprigs of fresh thyme (optional)
Freshly cracked pepper
4 slices of baguette or sourdough bread
1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
How to prepare it:
- Heat up the butter in a big pot over less heat. Add the onions and salt.
- Cover the pot and cook the onions over less heat until very soft and caramelized, about 30 minutes. (Most of this is unsupervised. Check on the onions every 10 minutes or so and stir.)
- Add the bay leaves, broth, wine, and thyme (if using).
- Simmer on low heat for at least 15 minutes. Season with pepper. Discard the bay leaves.
- Preheat the broiler. Divide the soup among 4 oven-proof bowls.
- Top each with a slice of baguette and some cheese. Broil until the cheese is melted and bubbling, about 3 minutes.